ALDI warehouses do not drug test their non-managerial employees except for certain situations that we will discuss in this article.
In the last few years preemployment drug testing has not been carried out in many ADLI distribution centers (DCs).
This may be because warehouses have high turnover rates which makes spending money for tests on employees who may leave soon too expensive and not worth it.
Additionally, with marijuana becoming legalized in many states across America, employers have been having a hard time finding enough employees who don’t use cannabis.
Drug tests at ALDI warehouses
ALDI distribution centers require drug screening for management positions.
If you ever need to take a drug test, you’ll be required to do so on site or at a third-party location.
ALDI outsources it’s drug testing to a firm called Labcorp.
Roles that require mandatory drug screening
Most entry level positions at ALDI warehouses do not require drug testing as a condition for employment.
However, there are a few roles whose significance requires them to have preemployment drug tests.
All managerial roles
Salaried employees such as warehouse shift supervisor, warehouse operations supervisor and warehouse operations manager do need to be drug tested prior to being hired or promoted.
When to expect a drug test
There are certain situations where associates in the warehouse will get drug tested:
- If you have been involved in an accident and equipment is damaged, you might get drug tested.
- If you get into an accident and sustain injuries.
- If you get promoted to a managerial role.
- If there is reasonable suspicion of being under the influence of drugs, such as slurred speech.
Remember that accidents are serious in any warehouse setting. As a warehouse associate, I have seen forklift operators get drug tested and subsequently fired after hitting pallet racking, for example.
ALDI warehouses do urine drug tests as the drug testing mode of choice. With a urine test, a strip with tiny colored pads is dipped into a urine sample after which it changes color according to the concentration of the drugs being tested for.
Rapid urine tests are cheap and easy to carry out and that’s why you might find them being done on site.
Tips and recommendations
If you think (or know) that you are going to get tested and have used marijuana recently, you can buy a home drug test and find out if you’ll test positive for it.
If you have a medical prescription for any drug you use, it may get you off the hook if you ever test positive for it.
Cranberry juice is a natural detox and can help you pass a marijuana drug test.
Due to the pandemic, most ALDI warehouses are not drug screening at all for any position.
Do not bring up the subject of marijuana use during your interview if the interviewers don’t bring it up themselves. Doing so might make you look suspicious.
How some employees pass the drug test by finessing the testing process
Some ALDI warehouse employees finesse their way into passing the urine test even when they have recently taken drugs such as cannabis.
They do this using synthetic urine which is a lab made chemical that is indistinguishable from real pee to the naked eye.
A popular product for passing urine tests is the PassUSA.com synthetic urine kit which goes a step further from regular fake urine kits by:
- having an attached temperature strip and heat pad that warms up the fake urine sample to body temperature so that it doesn’t rouse suspicions of the drug testers
- including all ingredients normally found in real pee such as creatine and properly balanced pH levels.
If you take this route, make sure to:
- read the instructions that come with your kit very carefully and follow them to the letter
- give yourself enough time to get ready on the day of the test so as not to make any mistake that might get you caught while in a rush.